Master of Science in Mental Health Counseling
Concentrations in addictions counseling (WPB only) or marriage, couple and family
You look around and you see a world in chaos at both a global and local level. You
may not be able to create world peace or solve global hunger, but you are sure that
you have the gift of compassion and can help make this a better world one person at
Palm Beach Atlantic University's Master of Science in Mental Health Counseling prepares
you to serve the world at a higher level by pursuing state licensure to counsel clients
in a professional setting.
At PBA, we offer guidance that focuses on biblical, historical, theoretical and practical
studies. Combined with our thriving community connections, we help you develop skills
in the field of counseling to reach your potential.
Apply Now Online
Our program delivers specific benefits including:
- Quality instruction that prepares you for Florida licensure
- Extensive internship, job listing and networking opportunities
- Two unique areas of specialization, including Addictions Counseling (WPB only) or Marriage,
Couple and Family Counseling (Note: Non-specialized General Counseling Studies concentration
available for students not seeking licensure).
- Preparation for study at the doctoral level.
- Courses are offered weeknight evenings at PBA’s Orlando and West Palm Beach campuses
- Two entry points per year: fall (August) and spring (January) with application deadlines
August 1 and December 1
When you finish at PBA you will have:
- The 60 graduate credits -- including field experience -- in order to apply for licensure
in Addictions/Counseling (offered in West Palm Beach only);
- Or the 60 graduate credits in Marriage, Couple and Family Counseling and Mental Health
- Or the 36 credits required for General Counseling, non-licensure (see catalog).
Request more information
Mental Health Counseling Admission Requirements
- Earn a baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited institution or a baccalaureate
degree in another major with successful completion of 15 prerequisite credits in psychology
or related disciplines. International students should inquire about additional admission
- Achieve cumulative undergraduate minimum GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale
- A completed online application and $45 nonrefundable fee
- Official transcript from college/university where bachelor’s degree was conferred
and from college/university where prerequisite courses were taken
- Three confidential counseling recommendations. Recommendations for transfer students
must include a current advisor/faculty member.
- Acceptable score on the GRE or MAT (Millers Analogy Test)
- Faculty interview – Once candidates submit all required documents, the complete application is reviewed
by the Graduate Admissions Committee to determine invitations for an interview. Skype/phone interviews are available for out-of-state applicants.
International students should inquire about additional Master's in Mental Health Counseling admission
GRE/MAT is not required for students with a 3.0 cumulative grade point average from
a regionally accredited college or university. The requirement is waived for applicants
with a previously earned master’s degree or those who have completed 15 or more graduate
credits with transferable grades from a regionally accredited institution.
Admissions Decision and Notification
Applicants will be notified in writing of the Graduate Admissions Committee’s decision
within two weeks after completing the interview. To secure a spot in the program,
accepted students must, no later than 30 days before classes begin, submit:
- A non-refundable $100 deposit, which is applied to tuition upon enrollment
The estimated tuition for the entire Master of Science in Mental Health Counseling program
is $35,070. This includes tuition for 60 credit hours ($560/credit) and the Resource
Fee ($220/semester). For specifics about the Master of Science in Mental Health Counseling
program, please review the degree section in the student catalog.
Use our Adult Tuition Calculator to plan your college expenses.
*Cost based on 2017-2018 fee schedule and is subject to change. Additional fees may
Palm Beach Atlantic makes every effort to offer financial assistance through a variety
of programs (federal and institutional) to deserving students. Primary funding for
graduate study is provided on the basis of demonstrated financial need in the form
of work study awards and student loans. Students must apply for financial aid each
year by completing the Free Application for Federal Student Assistance (FAFSA) online
Learn more about opportunities for Financial Aid*; for questions on work-study or loan eligibility please contact email@example.com.
**NOTE: Clicking this link will take you to the University's primary website.
View downloadable brochure
Are you ready to start your journey toward a career in Mental Health Counseling? Apply today for our Master of Science in Mental Health Counseling program.