Master of Science in Mental Health Counseling
Concentrations in addictions counseling (WPB only) or marriage, couple and family counseling
You look around and you see a world in chaos at both a global and local level. You may not be able to create world peace or solve global hunger, but you are sure that you have the gift of compassion and can help make this a better world one person at a time.
Palm Beach Atlantic University's Master of Science in Mental Health Counseling prepares you to serve the world at a higher level by pursuing state licensure to counsel clients in a professional setting.
At PBA, we offer guidance that focuses on biblical, historical, theoretical and practical studies. Combined with our thriving community connections, we help you develop skills in the field of counseling to reach your potential.
Apply Now Online
Our program delivers specific benefits including:
- Quality instruction that prepares you for Florida licensure
- Extensive internship, job listing and networking opportunities
- Two unique areas of specialization, including Addictions Counseling (WPB only) or Marriage, Couple and Family Counseling (Note: Non-specialized General Counseling Studies concentration available for students not seeking licensure).
- Preparation for study at the doctoral level.
- Courses are offered weeknight evenings at PBA’s Orlando and West Palm Beach campuses
- Two entry points per year: fall (August) and spring (January) with application deadlines August 1 and December 1
When you finish at PBA you will have:
- The 60 graduate credits -- including field experience -- in order to apply for licensure in Addictions/Counseling (offered in West Palm Beach only);
- Or the 60 graduate credits in Marriage, Couple and Family Counseling and Mental Health Counseling;
- Or the 36 credits required for General Counseling, non-licensure (see catalog).
Request more information
Mental Health Counseling Admission Requirements
- Earn a baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited institution or a baccalaureate degree in another major with successful completion of 15 prerequisite credits in psychology or related disciplines. International students should inquire about additional admission requirements.
- Achieve cumulative undergraduate minimum GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale
- A completed online application and $45 nonrefundable fee
- Official transcript from college/university where bachelor’s degree was conferred and from college/university where prerequisite courses were taken
- Three confidential counseling recommendations. Recommendations for transfer students must include a current advisor/faculty member.
- Acceptable score on the GRE or MAT (Millers Analogy Test)
- Faculty interview – Once candidates submit all required documents, the complete application is reviewed by the Graduate Admissions Committee to determine invitations for an interview. Skype/phone interviews are available for out-of-state applicants.
International students should inquire about additional Master's in Mental Health Counseling admission requirements.
GRE/MAT is not required for students with a 3.0 cumulative grade point average from a regionally accredited college or university. The requirement is waived for applicants with a previously earned master’s degree or those who have completed 15 or more graduate credits with transferable grades from a regionally accredited institution.
Admissions Decision and Notification
Applicants will be notified in writing of the Graduate Admissions Committee’s decision within two weeks after completing the interview. To secure a spot in the program, accepted students must, no later than 30 days before classes begin, submit:
- A non-refundable $100 deposit, which is applied to tuition upon enrollment
The estimated tuition for the entire Master of Science in Mental Health Counseling program is $34,680. This includes tuition for 60 credit hours ($550/credit) and the Resource Fee ($210/semester). For specifics about the Master of Science in Mental Health Counseling program, please review the degree section in the student catalog.
Use our Adult Tuition Calculator to plan your college expenses.
*Cost based on 2016-2017 fee schedule and is subject to change. Additional fees may apply.
Palm Beach Atlantic makes every effort to offer financial assistance through a variety of programs (federal and institutional) to deserving students. Primary funding for graduate study is provided on the basis of demonstrated financial need in the form of work study awards and student loans. Students must apply for financial aid each year by completing the Free Application for Federal Student Assistance (FAFSA) online at www.fafsa.ed.gov.
Learn more about opportunities for Financial Aid*; for questions on work-study or loan eligibility please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
**NOTE: Clicking this link will take you to the University's primary website.
View downloadable brochure
Are you ready to start your journey toward a career in Mental Health Counseling? Apply today for our Master of Science in Mental Health Counseling program.